Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Aple.org - Teacher student loan repay program??

Anyone used this? How does it work? I am currently getting my credential and working on an emergency credential. I see that if you work four years after getting your credential, they will help you pay back your student loans. What I'm wondering is: can I count the time worked during my credential program? What happens if I quit before the four years is up? Also, does part time work count?



Aple.org - Teacher student loan repay program??

Before you really make a decision based on this, I would read the fine print and talk with someone who really understands it. Most the time, these programs cheat you in the end by only paying back perkin loans (which most people only have like 2000 dollars at most in perkin loans). I work in a low income area, and will get nothing, and my roommate tried it for 5 years before she found out that she could get nothing because she got a masters degree- (how that messes everything up, we still don't know)- but don't choose a place because some school clerk told you you'll get the money- check very close your circumstance with someone very familar because they often try to get out of paying it.



Aple.org - Teacher student loan repay program??

I believe the contract is to teach at a low performance school for 5 years and the program pays yp to $19,000 in student loans. But it only pays for what they qualify you for. Not guranteed to pay all of it back. There is an application program. Sign up ASAP



Aple.org - Teacher student loan repay program??

If you have Perkins or FFELP loans (Stafford, PLUS or Consolidated) any servicer you have should be familiar with the Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program. I would not go through a shady company to get your loans repaid. I would go straight to the Department of Education's website and look it up yourself.



http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/s...



Typically you have to work for 5 years in a low income school (labeled At Risk) and then your loans are paid off. In some cases you can defer or put your loans into a forbearance until you are ready for them to be forgiven.



One thing I will caution you about, when the DOE forgives you loans, that money shows up on your taxes as taxable income and may throw your taxes off. A lot of people do not realize that and get shocked when figuring their taxes.



I would do your research on that company and make sure they are legit.

No comments:

Post a Comment