Saturday, October 31, 2009

Can my graduate school limit the amount of my federal student loan?

Hi.



I was approved my full amount by my federal student loan people and I talked to my financial aid guy and they told me that I wouldn't be allowed to get the max because the loan people wouldn't let me.



Well I found out that the loan people WILL but the school decides if I can get the amount I want. They decide if I need money or not.



Can they do that? They have no right to tell me what I need and don't need. I pulled enough money out for graduate school and now I'm being shorted because they think I have a money tree in my back yard.



Is there any way I can get the school to give me my full amount. I need that money for school and living expenses like it was taken out for.



Can my graduate school limit the amount of my federal student loan?

Technically they can limit the amount of loans you receive but it's really by saying it'll cost less to go there if that makes sense. You see to get federal and state loans you can't get much more than the %26quot;cost of attendance%26quot; which includes estimated living expenses, tuition, fees, books, supplies ect ect. So if they wanted to limit your loans they could always say it won't cost as much as it should.



I'm not sure why they would do that but that is why it's important to talk to your Financial Aid Officer!



Can my graduate school limit the amount of my federal student loan?

They can, they did it to me last year. Give them a call and explain their situation, and if there is nothing they can do, I'd just take out the difference in private loans.

No comments:

Post a Comment