Monday, October 26, 2009

Does anyone know about legal rights of confidentiality for student loan accounts?

Recently my student loan company contacted my house and my roommate answered the phone. The agent discussed personal and explicit details of my account with my roommate (who has no relation to me, nor access to personal information such as my SSN) while leaving a message for me. I could be wrong, but I don't think they can do that, can they? I am a resident of Iowa now, and that is where my school was located, so I'm not sure of the state laws or federal laws. I looked into the better buisness bureau, but they only cover sales transactions, so if anyone can let me know if I have a right to do something about this and who I could contact that would be great.



Does anyone know about legal rights of confidentiality for student loan accounts?

I would imagine that is very wrong. I know when I went in for my last physical I had to fill out new paperwork that asked if anyone in my family could take messages from my doctor's office and how detailed the messages could be. That's just health stuff, like test results, appointments, etc.



I can't imagine that it is okay for the student loan company to talk to your roommate about your financial situation(good or bad). I would call the student loan company and ask about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment